Friday, September 28, 2012

Because I like to eat good food...

White Chicken Lasagna
(image courtesy of
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/)
That's really the reason I cook when I do. I don't 'like to cook', but I like the result.  And my husband loves to eat.  So I cook when I can (much less frequently when school is in session), and since I don't cook all that often I like to try a new recipe almost every time. 

We make it a point to eat healthy as a regular course, and Sundays are our pizza (or other junk food) day.  I tried this recipe this past weekend and I will definitely do it again, and while there are no nutritional facts given, I suspect its overall pretty healthy.  It has spinach and squash (which my husband said wasn't his favorite part--the squash--but you couldn't even taste it! He said he could. Whatever.)  I used whole wheat lasagna noodles (which I was unable to find in the No-Cook variety, so that added some extra time to the prep), and my dish wasn't deep enough for the final layer of pasta and sauce, so that lightened it up a bit.  Oh, and I didn't buy enough mozzarella, so we saved some calories on that as I barely had a sprinkling on the top.

Kale Caesar Salad
For some extra nutrients, I made a kale Caesar salad from a recipe I found in my October Real Simple magazine.  We love kale --its so good for you--and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. This was really good. Recipe below.

Another great this about it is lasagna makes for great leftovers (in fact I have some for my lunch today for the last time....finally!)  And despite the squash, my husband strongly approved.  Funny thing is this is the first time I've attempted a lasagna dish since I've been married, and I specifically registered for an received a lasagna pan as a wedding gift, and I didn't use it!  I thought about it, but it was so big, and I didn't need that much food for just the two of us.  So next time I make it I'll have to have people over.

Kale Caesar Salad
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m| Total Time: 20m

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 medium bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
  • 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon juice, oil, mustard, Worcestershire, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the kale, eggs, and onion and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment