Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stirring up color....

For someone who doesn't really cook very much, I have a LOT of cookbooks. Some I've never even ventured a recipe from.  I was weaning down my collection when I found a little seasonal booklet from Pampered Chef, and discovered that every recipe in it looked yummy AND easy. My favorite combo.

So last night I tried this recipe for a Sweet & Sour Pineapple and Pork Stir-fry. It was easy (only took about 30 minutes start to eating), ingredients were cheap, and it proved very tasty and filling (I'm a fan of having one dish be basically the whole meal.)  My husband was satisfied (always the goal) and since the recipe is 4 servings, and there's only 2 of us, I have left-overs for when I have to take dinner with me to school Thursday night (my husband usually eats 2 servings himself.)  This will be something I make again.


Pampered Chef Sweet & Sour Pineapple Pork Stir Fry
  • 1lb pork tenderloin (I just used a pound of pork loin chops)
  • 1/2 medium pineapple
  • 2 cups sugar snap peas
  • 1 medium red onion, cut in wedges (optional, but I like onions)
  • 2 Tbsp & 1 tsp. cornstarch, divided
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce (I used lite sodium)
  • 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/3 cup apricot preserves
  • 1 Tbsp oil (I think the recipe called for vegetable, but I always use Olive)
  1. Cut the pork in to bit size cubes.  In a bowl, toss with 2 Tbsp cornstarch and the salt. Set aside.
  2. Cut the pineapple in to bite sizes.  Cut the peas in half on the bias.
  3. Whisk the soy sauce, vinegar and remaining tsp of cornstarch together.  Add the apricot preserves and mix well.
  4. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Add the pork in a single layer.  Cook on the one side for 4-6 minutes.  Using tongs, turn each piece over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Add onions for this additional cooking time.
  5. Finally, add the peas, pineapple and sauce and stir together. Turn the heat down to medium, and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes until all heated and the sauce thickens.
  6. Enjoy!
As you can see above, we had some brown rice on the side (Trader Joe's makes these great microwave packets, perfect rice every time).  But that's it.  Easy and tasty, what more can you ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment