Monday, November 12, 2012

Wedding wonderful...

So I've been MIA for a couple weeks. Sorry about that!  First my husband hurt his back and was temporarily handicapped so that threw my days off.  Then I got some flu-like illness that had me stuck in bed for a couple days.  But then something good happened: one of my best girlfriends whom I've known since 6th grade got married this weekend.  It was a beautiful event, but it was pretty much a DIY wedding, with most every element gifted by her loving and talented friends.  I wish I had photos to share, but I was so busy acting as a co-coordinator, I didn't have my camera around to snap any.  I'm going to try to get some from friends and post later.  Until then, to give an idea, here are some of the images she had used for inspiration for the event (thanks to Pinterest):
I painted signs and banners for them, and on the day of, I was the hair and make-up artist. I don't have professional training with either, but since I have fun with my own, and have some experience with professional makeup artists from my modeling days, my friends come to me for these things.  Having done a few weddings now, including my own, here are some tips and product recommendations for brides to be:

  • Scotch guard your dress, at least the bottom foot and a half of skirt.  I got this tip from a former bride who had had an outdoor wedding, and I followed the tip, as mine was also outdoors, and my dress is basically spotless. The wedding this weekend was also outdoors, and most of the grounds were just packed dirt (which had been rained on 2 days before.) We did two coats of scotch guard on the wedding dress, one the night before, and one the morning of (do it outside, it is very stinky).  After 4 hours of walking around in the dirt, my friend's dress was barely dirty.
  • Use primer for your face and eye makeup. There are a lot of primers out there now, and I think most are probably comparable.  I'm a fan of Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. It comes in a variety of formulas (my favorite being Luminizing, which gives you a healthy glow without being sparkly).  A little bit goes a long way, and these products are designed to create a smooth, lasting foundation for all the makeup you will be applying.  For eye primer, I like Mary Kay Eye Primer. Its a cream that absorbs easily, and helps your eyeshadow last longer. I even apply a little in my under eye area along the lash line, to help any lower last liner last and not run.
  • Waterproof mascara is a no-brainer, but waterproof eyeliner is a must too.  Even if you don't cry at your wedding, waterproof will last longer and less likely to run.  Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner is what we used this weekend.  Its great for exactly what its named: smudge-ability and waterproof-ness.

  • If doing false eyelashes and dark eyeliner, use dark eyelash glue. I think that when the glue dries it blends in with your natural lash line better and enhances your eyeliner line, so it has extra oomph.  I use Ardell LashTite Eyelash Adhesive, Dark.
  • The best hairspray for styles that hold but are not crunchy, is finally available in the US and is not ridiculously expensive.  Stylists around the world have been using this for years, but it was only available in Europe until this last year.  Elnett Satin Extra Strong Hold Hair Spray is the product to use.  And they have 2.2oz options, so if you're not normally a hair spray wearer, then you don't have to buy a full size can. 
  • Apply these 3 products in this order as the last 3 steps to finish your face: 1) under eye concealer, 2) blush, and lastly 3) Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder.  It may seem like you should do eye concealer when you are doing your eyes, but if you save it until after you are done with your eye look, then it will have the most effect. No matter how careful you are, color from your lids will drop below.  If you do concealer after shadow and mascara, then it will wipe up any dropped shadow color, and help create a barrier to keep the color you want on your eyes from sliding down your face.  Blush is next, and I recommend using a cream and a powder, cream first.  A light natural cream will create a glow and a base for the powder you apply on top.  And last thing before photos and the aisle walk, apply a light dusting of the translucent powder, to give your skin a photo-shopped look and set everything once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment