Wednesday, May 28, 2014

MIA - but I'm back!

Phew, life has been full of significant changes since I last posted. I can't believe its been over a year since then! I've missed this.

Around this time last year I was preparing to graduate law school, which I did on Mother's Day, 2013. That was also the day that hubby and I shared with our families that we were expecting our first child in November. Pregnancy was fortuantely pretty easy for me, which was good, because before I could begin preparing for the baby, I now needed to study for, take --and hopefully pass--the California Bar Exam (which many argue is the hardest bar exam in the country.) I had to take a leave of absence from work to study full time for 3 months, all the while growing a human in my belly. The exam is held twice a year: July and February. It takes 3 days, 6 hours of testing per day. I took the July exam. Then you wait for months to find out. The results are posted online the Friday before Thanksgiving (so you either have a lot to be thankful for, or have a miserable holiday.)

Unknowing the future of my professional status, my personal status changed to that of "Mom" on November 11, 2013. My beautiful baby boy (nickname "KD") joined us at 1:06pm, with no complications. And life has never been the same. He is such a joy in my life. Someone said to me before KD was born that you've never known love like the love you feel for your child. That makes sense, but you can't really understand what that feels like until it actually happens. Its a surreal experience, which I have more to say on later.

Two weeks later, with my newborn in my arms, I learned that I did indeed pass the bar. SUCH a relief. There is no way I could have studied effectively to pass the next time around now that I had a new baby. On December 2, I was sworn in as lawyer in the State of California.

Then -- back to maternity leave. I was able to stay home with KD for 4.5 months, which was such a blessing. I used to say that while I wanted kids, I didn't want to be a stay-at-home mom (just my personality), but after having KD I cried the two weeks leading up to going back to work because I felt so terrible about leaving him. Although I have found a wonderful daycare, and KD really seems to like going, so it now makes it much easier, I still wish I worked a few hours less per day so I could have my productive adult time, then have more quality time with him. There is still hope that my career can accommodate that, so its a goal. And thankfully, hubby has a flexible job that allows him to take one day off a week and stay home with his son, so they have a quality day together, which is so great for them.

So now I'm back at work, trying to figure out what the next step is for me professionally (your priorities really change when you have kids too), as well as figure out how to be a working mom and be everything and do everything, and still have time for me (that will hopefully get a bit easier once I'm not breastfeeding anymore.) But I'm happy to have this creative outlet for myself and anyone who enjoys it, and will be using it as a way to explore my attempts at adding my personal style to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment