Friday, August 31, 2012

Yumminess for the Body....

This is the new product that I am obsessed with and telling everyone about. It's the greatest thing: all natural, multi-purpose, miraculous Coconut Oil! Specifically, Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
I first learned about it from the blog of Supermodel (yet so down-to-earth) Molly Sims, who had one of her MUAs (Make-Up Artists) share her favorite beauty products. (Watch here.) Additionally, I had seen several posts on Pinterest raving about it as a hair treatment. I'm trying to transition myself on to more natural products. I love coconut, and the scent, and for only $6 bucks, there wasn't a lot to lose if I didn't like it.
I've used it for hair, skin and makeup remover, and like it for all. The things to know:
  • coconut oil ("CO") dramatically changes consistency with temperature, basically going from a liquid to a solid at temperatures below 76 degrees. But this is not a concern. Since I bought it, it has been very warm in LA, and even just being kept on my bathroom counter out of any light, it has steadily been of a liquid consistency. Which is fine. It makes it easy to dip my Q-tips in for eye make-up removal. But if you watched the Molly Sims video linked above, you'll notice her oil looks like a solid. It must have been cooler where she was. Its easier to do a hair mask if its more solid, so you can just put it in the fridge for a bit and it will harden.
  • If you're going to use as skin moisturizer, apply fresh out of the shower. It absorbs in damp skin better, and won't leave you greasy if you do it then.
  • My favorite use is as a hair treatment. You can do this as frequently or infrequently as you like. I've been doing it almost every morning, and I am now obsessed with how soft and manageable my hair is. I just get up a few minutes early on the days I want to do it, and apply the oil to my hair before anything. I smooth it through, but don't saturate it, and clip it in a bun on my head for 30 minutes while I go around preparing lunch and packing things up for the day. Then I shower. Regular shampoo washes it out, though I recommend 2 washings, and make sure you wash to the ends (I didn't get it all out one day, didn't notice until too late to re-wash. It was a weird day.) Follow by your regular conditioner, and I guarantee you will notice a difference after just the first time.
If you give it a try, I hope you find it as great a product as I do. I would love to hear what other ways you find it works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment